Media Releases

Read all of Paul Scully MP's media releases right here

PREMIER STILL HIDING WOLLONGONG JOB CUTS

November 05, 2019

NSW Premier, Gladys Berejiklian is still refusing to confirm how many public sector workers will be sacked in Wollongong and the Illawarra following a decision to cut 2500 jobs in the 2019-20 NSW Budget.

 

Member for Wollongong, Paul Scully has asked the Premier and previously the Minister Water, Property and Housing, Melinda Pavey, to provide details on the:

 

  • Total number of public sector jobs to be cut in Wollongong and the Illawarra;
  • What the breakdown is in departments and agencies in Wollongong and the Illawarra, and;
  • Whether consultations with stakeholders, including unions had taken place.

 

The Minister referred Mr Scully to the Premier saying any decisions were for her to make.

 

The Premier in response simply refused to provide any details at all.

 

Mr Scully said, “The Government is trying to hide what the impact of its decision to sack public sector workers will be in Wollongong and the Illawarra.

 

“In their June Budget the Liberals and Nationals said very clearly that up to 2500 people would be sacked.

 

“Now they’re refusing to say how many people will be sacked and in what areas of the public service.

 

“Wollongong’s public sector workers are on the chopping block because the Government classifies the local government area as metropolitan.

 

“I think workers in Wollongong-based departments and agencies are entitled to know just how many of their jobs are under threat because of the Government’s budget decision.

 

“The Premier can’t hide this information forever so she may as well come clean with the Wollongong community now’, he said.

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER